Home Performance Program
About REU's Home Performance Program
Redding Electric Utility’s (REU’s) Home Performance Program (HPP) is an incentive-based program for homeowners to improve their home’s energy performance.
HPP projects must incorporate REU-approved Building Performance Institute (BPI) “whole house-as-a-system” installation measures and standards that include: removal of your old Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system; right-sizing and designing your new HVAC and duct systems to high-level ACCA Manual J/D standards, proper insulation levels in your attic space (R-50...that’s right...R-50), and providing whole house ventilation systems.
If you are considering replacing your existing air-conditioner and tightening or replacing your home’s duct system, REU encourages you to “do it right” and retrofit your home to REU’s Home Performance standards.
Your Home Performance contractor may make claims that REU’s Home Performance Program can reduce your home’s energy consumption by 30% or more – they may also claim they can reduce your home’s air conditioner size by 50% or more. Your contractor will also talk to you about replacing natural gas furnaces with an electric heat pump, or hydronic system. If your Home Performance contractor is making these claims, they are absolutely correct! Together, these measures will greatly improve your home’s energy efficiency, comfort levels, and indoor air quality.
REU has been monitoring homes that have been retrofitted to these REU Home Performance standards and the results have been staggering. Increased comfort – improved indoor air quality – lower utility bills – and lower peak demand on REU’s electric system which is good for all REU customers!
How It Works
Five easy steps to a comfortable, efficient home:
- Call Mike Adams, Home Performance Program (HPP) Coordinator, at 339-7345, to discuss the proven benefits of Home Performance upgrades for your home, and answer any questions.
- Contact and interview REU HPP approved Home Performance Contractor(s) in your home, and discuss your specific needs. Note their professionalism, experience, and previous client references, amongst your selection criteria.
- Hire an approved REU Home Performance Contractor to submit your program application, test your home, and create a comprehensive report, demonstrating what cost effective upgrades you and your home would benefit from, how much $ rebate you may qualify for, and the energy (kWh) savings you might anticipate, after completing your Home Performance project.
- Agree upon a project "Scope of Work" and project $ cost; have your contractor design and complete your Home Performance upgrades. Your contractor will coordinate the program required verifications and quality control, with REU's HPP Coordinator.
- Upon your contractor's successful completion of the project "test out" verifications, demonstrating that specific performance targets have been met or exceeded REU's HPP Program requirements, REU will issue a rebate check to you, or to your pre-assigned contractor, within 30 days.
REU Financial Incentives
REU’s HPP will provide substantial financial incentives to offset your incremental cost to go from standard HVAC replacement to a HPP project. REU customers who undertake high quality, uncompromised home performance–based contracting services for whole house-as-a-system, deep energy retrofits will:
- Reduce your energy bills
- Improve your home’s energy efficiency
- Improve your home’s comfort levels
- Improve indoor air quality
- And reduce peak demand on REU’s electric system
All by performing the following work:
- Air seal attic space
- Insulation upgrade to R50
- Properly designed and installed duct system (air delivery)
- HVAC upgrade to “right sized” heat pump/air conditioner
- Home ventilation upgrade
- HPP Rebate Calculator (Excel Spreadsheet)
- Home Performance Brochure (PDF)
- Home Performance Program Application (PDF)
- Utility Account Release Form (PDF)
- Quality Assurance Form (PDF)
- Prescriptive Home Performance Measures (PDF) (Updated January 2013)
- REU Approved Home Performance Contractors (PDF) (Updated January 2013)
For more information about REU’s successful Home Performance program, please contact Mike Adams at (530) 339-7345
REU Energy Services
REU Energy Services
Customer Program Supervisor